WELCOME....................................

Im so glad that you decided to join me today. As stated in the description, this blog is geared towards women of the darker skin tone. Feel free to ask questions and make suggestions. I'm still learning my way around this thing so it might be a little weak at first but I will do my best to do continual improvements. Enjoy.....

Thursday, May 26, 2011

5 Keys for Healthy Hair for African American Women.... CHECK THIS OUT!

One of the biggest complaints that I hear from African American women is "I can't get my hair to grow like yours." The truth of the matter is, yes you can. Everybody's hair grows at a different speed but most of that has to do with age and genetics. But the fact still remains that your hair does grow. Whether it be a half of an inch a month and an inch and a half a month, it still grows. The key is to take care of whatever does grow. The more you nurture your hair the more results you'll see. So in this blog entry I will go over the five most important keys to proper hair growth for healthy hair. Of course there are more but these are the main ones. The first one is you must eat and sleep right. A full eight hours of sleep a night is very important when it comes to the health of your hair. A full balanced meal is just as important. There are vitamins in foods, especially natural foods, that are vital to the strength and elasticity of your skin and hair. Do not skip fruits and vegetables and DRINK PLENTY OF WATER! That is something I struggle with but it must be done. Hydrating your hair and skin begins within. I honestly believe that 85% percent of the African American struggle for women with our hair and skin comes from a lack of water. If you suffer from dandruff, dry hair, brittle hair, acne, and dry skin, IT IS FROM LACK OF WATER. Please ladies increase your intake. The second thing is, make sure you shampoo and condition your hair on a regular basis. The reason for this is shampoo will strip your hair and scalp of any oils and dirt that may clog your pores and stunt hair growth. I know we believe that a dirty scalp will make our hair grow but the truth is your scalp wants to breathe. Conditioning your hair will restore moisture, vitamins and the proper oils that your hair needs in order to have that natural shine and elasticity. This is very important if you do a lot of heat styling. When hair breaks off that means that it is dry and unhealthy. A way to figure this out is to take a strand of your hair and pull it from both ends. If it immediately pops and breaks, it is unhealthy and needs moisture. Healthy hair stretches. So if the strand stretches a little before it breaks then you are on the right path. Okay the third thing is consistency. Come up with a system and stick to it. For example when my hair is out, I shampoo and condition it every two weeks. If it by any chance gets too dirty or heavy before that then I cowash it. I get my relaxers every six weeks(if you have thin or fine hair it should be every 8-12 weeks). I flat iron my hair once a week but I wrap my hair every night. And throughout the summer months I wear weaves and braids to protect my hair and give it a break.<<<<<<<<<<SEE MY HAIR IS USE TO A PATTERN. The fourth thing is dont ever sleep on your hair. Always wrap it up at all times. The friction from sleeping on it makes your hair weak and strips it of moisture. It also causes split ends. I know some people cant stand stuff on their head and in this case you need to sleep on silk pillowcases. This will prevent your hair from becoming so dry and brittle that it breaks off. The last thing is something that for some reason black women absolutely hate doing but GET REGULAR TRIMS. It is hard to grow healthy hair without getting regular trims. You need a trim every four to six weeks. Not only will your hair look healthier but it will be healthier. Not trimming your ends causes split ends to travel up the hair shaft and eventually break. Leaving hair thin and weak looking. So the first time might be hard but trust me you will be glad you did. Below are pictures of one of my clients who actually does all these things. As you can see she has gorgeous hair. I know it all seems like a lot to do but once you start afterwhile it will become second nature. Alright ladies enjoy......



No comments:

Post a Comment